CocoPallet produces durable shipping pallets made from unused coconut husks.

CocoPallet has produced an alternative to conventional wooden shipping pallets, by producing durable pallets made from coconut waste. The company is taking advantage of the 74 billion coconuts that are harvested every year by turning unused husks into export pallets that are cost effective, pest-repellent, water resistant and biodegradable. In addition, repurposing these husks prevents them from being left to rot or burned, and provides an additional revenue stream for coconut farmers.

Unlike wooden pallets, CocoPallets contain no synthetic binding agents, instead taking advantage of natural binders in the coconut fibres. They also do not require nails, meaning that the pallets are fully biodegradable at the end of their useful life. The company are currently exploring how to generate extra value from their crates, by converting the pallets into soil improvement products after use. The pallets are just as durable as conventional pallets, withstanding 3,000 kilograms of weight. Unlike conventional pallets, CocoPallets are nestable, requiring around 70% less storage room.

“He who plants a coconut tree, plants food and drink, vessels and clothing, a home for himself and a heritage for his children”  – South Seas saying

Why you should care

The company estimates that 1.7 billion wooden pallets are produced each year for exporters based just in Asia. This represents 200 million trees being cut down for this purpose. Meanwhile, only 15% of the waste from coconut production is reused, meaning the remaining 85% is burned, landfilled or left to rot. CocoPallet can bridge the gap between these two problems.

How the Global Goals are addressed

Responsible consumption and production

CocoPallet recovers value from discarded coconut husks, reducing waste from agriculture. The pallets are naturally biodegradable and doesn’t create waste at the end of its useful life.

Life on land

Using coconut husks reduces the demand for new timber and can help to decrease deforestation.